Skip to main content

Making Monster Cookies with Five Kiddos ... by Myself

My Dad negotiated a deal with me that allowed my parents and two oldest siblings to go see the movie Unbroken while I stayed home and watched the kiddos. I would get paid instead of a babysitter and get to see the movie later with just me and Dad.

This deal was made thirty minutes before my family left for the theater.

I had no plan.

So clearly when I suddenly have five kids of various ages to occupy, baking cookies is the first thing that came to mind. 
 
 
 
 

I was familiar with Monster Cookies from my time working in a camp kitchen, so I did a quick scan for the ingredients.

Next was a team meeting around the kitchen table. The plan was laid out, expectations made clear, and consequences established. Of course they were all excited for cookies, but excitement doesn't last forever.







Lucky for me, making cookies also gives me a bargaining chip.

I sent each kid to gather an ingredient, and step by step we put together the peanut butter and oatmeal cookies.
 
 
 

 
 
We only forgot the baking soda, miss calculated the peanut butter, and only suffered one fatality, a container of oatmeal--lucky for me we had another. 

Holding some cookie batter away to ensure that they wouldn't be contaminated by children's mouths, I placed batch after batch in the oven. I even contemplated placing the cookies J had made in a bag and labeling it with the HazMat symbol.  The kids were great until the end. While I was breaking up a fight and putting both younger boys in time-out, a dozen cookies burnt. They got to tell the others. 
 
 

 
The kids weren't angels, they never are. Lunch held minor conflicts, while rest time was a disaster. By the time my family returned, I was ready for a nap and a cookie myself, but the day was fun. 

Spending time with my Daddy was also great, seeing a true historic story played out on the screen. 

Cookies, kids, and a movie: The day can't get much more exciting than that.
 
~ Alyson 

Comments

  1. Wow! Sounds like a crazy day! You're a very brave person. I'll be babysitting the two little ones at my house for two hours later, and while I love them, handling them by oneself is very tricky. I'm already semi-dreading it. Glad you had a great day, though!
    ~Sarah Faulkner

    Inklined

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll do great babysitting : )

      Delete
  2. Awesome. This makes me hungry for monster cookies though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think : )

Popular posts from this blog

How to Create a Fact Manual for a Book Series {Peek into My Next Story}

I started my current story, Ideal Lies, last year, and this time, I decided to make it a trilogy. This story is a mix between dystopian and utopian.


I Missed the Only Year of My Life When I Could Sing, "I am sixteen going on seventeen."

Sound of Music has been my favorite movie since I was in kindergarten. My second favorite scenes was the invasion of the Nazi's. Don't ask why? I guess it was foreshadowing to my future history major. My favorite scene is when Liesl sings, "I am sixteen going on seventeen." 
     For years, I waited until I turned sixteen so I could sing that song. I didn't care that the two characters were falling in love. I just wanted to sing the lines, "I am sixteen," with accuracy. 
     Well, today I am seventeen. In the past year, I never got the chance to watch Sound of Music and sing along. This kind of made me sad . . . 
     Until I think back to all the times my sister, MK, sang the songs from The Sound of Music with beauty and grace. She fell in love with the movie just like had, and she doesn't care that she's not sixteen. She just loves music and singing. Listening to her was better than fulfilling a childhood dream.
     MK and my family make my…

10 Weird Things Writers Do ... And Are Perfectly Okay