Skip to main content

Book Review: Jupiter Winds by C. J. Darlington

The Blurb:

In 2160, a teenager becomes the bait to capture her missing revolutionary parents she thinks are long dead.

Grey Alexander has one goal—to keep herself and her younger sister Orinda alive. Not an easy feat living unconnected in the North American Wildlife Preserve, where they survive by smuggling contraband into the Mazdaar government's city zones. If the invisible electric border fence doesn't kill them, a human-like patrol drone could.

When her worst fear comes true, Grey questions everything she thought she knew about life, her missing parents, and God. Could another planet, whose sky swirls with orange vapors and where extinct-on-Earth creatures roam free, hold the key to reuniting her family?


About the Author:

C. J. is the award-winning author of the contemporary novels Thicker than Blood, Bound by Guilt, and Ties that Bind. Her new novel Jupiter Winds is a YA/space adventure/dystopian. She is a regular contributor to various websites. In 2013 C.J. co-founded Mountainview Books, LLC, an indie publisher of Christian fiction. She makes her home in Pennsylvania with her family and their menagerie of dogs and a paint horse named Sky. 



My Rating: 3 out of 5

My Review:



             This book peaked my interest. I wanted to know about Grey and her life on earth and journey to Jupiter. The storyline itself did not disappoint, and I finished it in a relatively short amount of time.

However, this book did not wow me. The technology was believable, but I have read/seen it better. Stronger character voices would have made a huge difference for me. Because of personal experience, I found it difficult to relate to the emotions Grey went through with her family.

Darlington’s strength in description helped keep a good balance with the action and sci-fi aspects. I saw Jupiter in a way I’d never seen it before.
         
             In the end, this was an okay book that I’m glad I read.

Comments

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think : )

Popular posts from this blog

How to Create a Fact Manual for a Book Series {Peek into My Next Story}

I started my current story, Ideal Lies, last year, and this time, I decided to make it a trilogy. This story is a mix between dystopian and utopian.


I Missed the Only Year of My Life When I Could Sing, "I am sixteen going on seventeen."

Sound of Music has been my favorite movie since I was in kindergarten. My second favorite scenes was the invasion of the Nazi's. Don't ask why? I guess it was foreshadowing to my future history major. My favorite scene is when Liesl sings, "I am sixteen going on seventeen." 
     For years, I waited until I turned sixteen so I could sing that song. I didn't care that the two characters were falling in love. I just wanted to sing the lines, "I am sixteen," with accuracy. 
     Well, today I am seventeen. In the past year, I never got the chance to watch Sound of Music and sing along. This kind of made me sad . . . 
     Until I think back to all the times my sister, MK, sang the songs from The Sound of Music with beauty and grace. She fell in love with the movie just like had, and she doesn't care that she's not sixteen. She just loves music and singing. Listening to her was better than fulfilling a childhood dream.
     MK and my family make my…

Writing a Book With Two POVs and a Linear Timeline

I've never been one to write an "easy" story.

Even the project I'm working on now, one I began almost four years ago, was one of complex construction. Mainly, this book was made up of two side by side points of view. Two different characters told two different stories that only intertwined at crucial points throughout the plot. Before I even began, I knew that it would be a difficult story to write without causing mass confusion. 
I'd never written a story anything like this before (and even now, I'm editing to change one of the storylines completely), but I knew one thing:  {My time-line could never back-peddle.}

This would prove an annoying decision, but one that drastically improved my story. Every story is different, but I can outline the logistics of what I did to make this linear timeline possible. 
First, decide your primary main character. With two stories, not just two perspectives on the same story, your story will appear to have two main characters. You…