Skip to main content

Archetypes: Using Writing Tools to the Max

     I was putting together my lesson plans for my 4th Grade Creative Writing class and I saw "Archetypes" as the next subject to address. I was so excited! I hadn't used them until my current book, but now I can spend hours studying their fascination. 
     
     Archetypes are a single word that acts as a pattern or model that helps in character development.  They help in creating variety and creativity. Choosing the right ones take time, but trust me it's worth it. Here is why I like them. 

  1. They give you insight on what the character is going to believe--what do they see as the most important thing in life?
  2. They give you an idea of what the character might stand up for--what do they value--what matters most--what would they risk there life for?
  3. They give you a glimmer of what the character's attitude would be--how to they respond to different situations--what is their view of life--how do they let their emotions show through?
     For example, A character with the archetype VILLAIN would probably believe that they are invincible, stand up for what they want and makes them happy, and have a hostile attitude towards anyone who goes against them.

     Combining two or three adds layer as well. For my main character in my current book, I gave her the archetypes ANALYST, PERFECTIONIST, and ANTIHERO. These three words automaticly give you a feeling of this character. 

     Have you used Archetypes in your writing? How do you see their importance? 

     Check out this list of Archetypes to get your brain moving.
~Aly

Comments

  1. Interesting. I'd like to see this concept fleshed out more. I have used archetypes before. :)

    Stori Tori's Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, archetypes is the key to a character, and other times, I have no problem creating a character. It all depends : )

      Delete
  2. I've been wanting a list of archetypes, but your link is taking me to blogger.com. Any ideas of where I should look/go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know about the broken link. I had a glitch with blogger awhile ago and some things got messed up. I fixed it : )

      Delete

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think : )

Popular posts from this blog

How to Create a Fact Manual for a Book Series {Peek into My Next Story}

I started my current story, Ideal Lies, last year, and this time, I decided to make it a trilogy. This story is a mix between dystopian and utopian.


I Missed the Only Year of My Life When I Could Sing, "I am sixteen going on seventeen."

Sound of Music has been my favorite movie since I was in kindergarten. My second favorite scenes was the invasion of the Nazi's. Don't ask why? I guess it was foreshadowing to my future history major. My favorite scene is when Liesl sings, "I am sixteen going on seventeen." 
     For years, I waited until I turned sixteen so I could sing that song. I didn't care that the two characters were falling in love. I just wanted to sing the lines, "I am sixteen," with accuracy. 
     Well, today I am seventeen. In the past year, I never got the chance to watch Sound of Music and sing along. This kind of made me sad . . . 
     Until I think back to all the times my sister, MK, sang the songs from The Sound of Music with beauty and grace. She fell in love with the movie just like had, and she doesn't care that she's not sixteen. She just loves music and singing. Listening to her was better than fulfilling a childhood dream.
     MK and my family make my…

10 Weird Things Writers Do ... And Are Perfectly Okay