Skip to main content

the Best Books never really end ...




The best books are the ones that never end, that the story never really finishes, the characters never go away, and the reader never stops thinking.  I’m not talking about really big books or endless series. In fact, I prefer shorter books and no longer than a trilogy. The physical pages or spines can only mean so much. The story between the front and back cover should be what never ends. 

My favorite books are the ones that keep going in your mind after your close it. I’m the kind of person that likes to analyze things and, many times, over think. I enjoy books that challenge your thinking. I love stories that cause you to replay the story and try to put together pieces that you didn’t notice the first time. I delight over books that I can read over and over again because of the sense of geniuses it produces. I will never forget the books that teach me something every time I read their words. 

If you’re thinking that I have high standards for a great book, you’d be right. That’s why I hardly ever have a favorite book in mind, but The Last Battle would be as close to that as it could get. C.S. Lewis states in the last paragraph, “All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story, which no one on earth as read: which goes on for ever: in which every chapter is better than the one before.” This opens the reader to another story that extends off from this one that, sadly, we will never get to see in print. But, the point is that whatever is left after that last page sticks to the reader on a personal level. 

What better example of a timeless book than the Bible itself. It ends with a promise of Christ’s return. Every time I read it, something new comes to light. The words never change, and I don’t twist them. But my life changes and what didn’t impact me one day might change my life the next. Every time I open it and start reading, I learn something new. So, I guess I do have a favorite book after all. Because it’s more than just a book—it’s endless guidance, a perfect promise, and an expression of permanent love.

Comments

  1. Well said. The best books make me think.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think : )

Popular posts from this blog

How to Create a Fact Manual for a Book Series {Peek into My Next Story}

I started my current story, Ideal Lies, last year, and this time, I decided to make it a trilogy. This story is a mix between dystopian and utopian.


I Missed the Only Year of My Life When I Could Sing, "I am sixteen going on seventeen."

Sound of Music has been my favorite movie since I was in kindergarten. My second favorite scenes was the invasion of the Nazi's. Don't ask why? I guess it was foreshadowing to my future history major. My favorite scene is when Liesl sings, "I am sixteen going on seventeen." 
     For years, I waited until I turned sixteen so I could sing that song. I didn't care that the two characters were falling in love. I just wanted to sing the lines, "I am sixteen," with accuracy. 
     Well, today I am seventeen. In the past year, I never got the chance to watch Sound of Music and sing along. This kind of made me sad . . . 
     Until I think back to all the times my sister, MK, sang the songs from The Sound of Music with beauty and grace. She fell in love with the movie just like had, and she doesn't care that she's not sixteen. She just loves music and singing. Listening to her was better than fulfilling a childhood dream.
     MK and my family make my…

10 Weird Things Writers Do ... And Are Perfectly Okay