Skip to main content

From Reading to Writing: To Kill a Mocking Bird



     
      I am finishing up my literature unit on To Kill a Mocking Bird this week. This book has made me think on a large scale. I loved this book for many reasons. The author does incredible work on characters, symbolism, setting, and tone. If you ever have this book as a choice to read, I encourage you to read it. 

      There was a lot of conflict in this book, and one scene really stuck out to me as something I should really try to do in my writing. Scout goes to school for the first time and is met by her straight out of college, by the book, probably only child, teacher. Scout however knows how to read and write from her father. She spends regular time learning from newspapers and law books while spending time with her dad. There is immediate conflict between the teacher, who believes that Scout should no longer read and write until instructed to do so, and Scout who thinks she has the right to give up school if the teacher dislikes her. The two have rifts throughout the school year that seem so trivial when I first read them. But, looking back at them I realized what made them so significant. Through these conflicts we see Scouts affection for her Dad and how she will not give up the special time they have together. We also see her Dad’s problem solving without making a bigger deal and without puffing himself or his daughter up. Lastly, the major thing that I saw in this conflict was the glimpses it gave us of the different kinds of people that lived in town. We see the kids that live far in the woods that want to learn. We see kids that come only on the first day of school so that they can say that they went and nothing more. We see kids who come from families that don’t have much of anything. In a way we get a glimpse of the entire town, simply by that conflict. This has a huge play in the overall plot.

      How can this help me in my writing?

      Most know that conflict is what holds the story together, so it is obviously going to be easy to identify. What made this little conflict great is that it reveals a lot. Here are some questions to consider when developing conflict. 

      What is this going to reveal about the people in my story?

      What strengths/weaknesses are going to be shown in other characters?

      What additional conflicts is this going to arise?

      If it seems like a small conflict, how can I tie this into the broad scheme of things?

      How are my characters going to grow from this conflict?

      Are your characters going to reflect on this later, and what are they going to think of their actions? (In this book, Scout continues in school and has future, more enjoyable, contact with that teacher.)

      I can’t help but read a book and see how I can apply it to my writing. I hope that you can take this and increase the effectiveness of those small conflict moments in your story. Sometimes I will read a scene where characters are in a rift and I wonder how this has anything to do with the story. What would you say is the biggest thing small conflict moments have to have to make them worth putting in the story?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Create a Fact Manual for a Book Series {Peek into My Next Story}

    I started my current story, Ideal Lies, last year, and this time, I decided to make it a trilogy. This story is a mix between dystopian and utopian. Living in the idealistic northern Ideal States of America, two teenagers are caught believing in an imperfect religion and go on the run as criminals to rescue their stolen family.     How I managed to keep this to myself until now, I'm not sure : )     Writing a series of any kind was something I'd never done before. I quickly found out that I needed a way to keep track of all the facts. I tried memory. My memory failed.  I tried little notes. I lost them. I tried computer files. It took me too long to find what I needed. So, with nothing else to do ... I created a fact manual. I spent hours gleaning the information from my memory, notes, and files. I created new documents and organized facts so I could put it all together in one cohesive notebook. I documented everything that had happened so far in my boo

Interview with Stephanie Morrill and Jill Williamson {and a giveaway}

     I would like to welcome Stephanie Morrill and Jill Williamson to my blog today! I am so excited that they took the time to do an interview with me. Here is a little bit about them:       Stephanie Morrill and  Jill   Williamson  have written a combined two dozen speculative and contemporary novels for teens. They also blog obsessively at  www.goteenwriters.com . When not writing or blogging, they can be found at the teen table at writer's conferences or wherever chocolate is being given away. Come hang out with Stephanie at  www.stephaniemorrill.com  and  Jill  at  www.jillwilliamson.com . Why did you choose the genre that you did? Stephanie: I feel like “contemporary young adult” chose me, honestly. I wanted to write deep, serious books that might get studied in English classes … but I never had any ideas for deep, serious books, so that flopped. My ideas, even after high school, were always for stories about girls and the boys they liked and the complica

10 Weird Things Writers Do ... And Are Perfectly Okay

No writer will ever claim to be a normal human being. We process information differently, we observe life differently, and we feel emotions differently. If you're a writer reading this, be encouraged. Yes, you are weird, and there is no avoiding it. But, there are many writers that can relate to a smidgen of what your life is like as a writer. If you are not a writer reading this, be understanding. We know we're weird, and it would be so awesome if you could just nod, smile, and say, "I'm glad you enjoy writing." It's okay to be weird. Personally, I think it's even cooler if you're weird and a writer at the same time.  1.      We may stare at you without realizing it. Sometimes, we see something that reminds us of characters and zone out for a bit. 2.      We may also stare blankly at flowers or rainbows, also thinking of something entirely different. (this was to counteract the slight creepiness of that first point.) 3.      We may